Is it interesting to know where the idea of making a wheelchair came from and who the inventor is? The fact is that the first wheelchair history is not so clear, but there are some stories about that. There’s an uncertain story about the invention of the first wheel-chair in 1595, which was called an invalid’s chair, and it was made for King Philip II of Spain. The invertor is unknown. The idea was to design a means of transport primarily for the wealthy.
Later in 1655, a self-propelling chair on a three-wheel chassis was made by Stephen Farfler, a disabled paraplegic watchmaker. In 1783, Bath, a wheelchair with two large wheels and a small one, was built by John Dawson of Bath, England. Like many other vehicles, wheelchairs have a long history. Today, wheelchairs are means which take you anywhere.
In a simple word, this vehicle is a chair with wheels designed for the transportation of the people who have difficulty walking. This difficulty can be caused by various factors such as illness, injury, old age problems, or disability. These problems can cause:
- Spinal cord injuries: paraplegia, hemiplegia or quadriplegia
- Broken leg(s)
- Cerebral palsy
- Brain injury
- Osteogenesis imperfect
- Motor neuron disease (MND)
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Muscular dystrophy (MD)
- Spina bifida
- And so on
These vehicles are in a wide variety of different needs of the users. The seats may differ for the other one because of the usage. Some are individualized controls, and some are electrical or work with batteries and each has its own advantages.
How does a wheelchair help?
All kinds of wheelchairs have many advantages and disadvantages for the users. A power-wheelchair makes moving easier and faster, and it does not need the strength of hands and shoulders to make the vehicle move. Besides, for people with cerebral palsy or those with problems with their hands and cannot move the wheelchair, the power wheel is a wise choice. However, the price makes some users use a manual ones instead, which has lots of benefits.
– Moving the manual wheelchair increases the strength of the hands and shoulders. Strengthening the body’s upper parts is one of the essential parts of running this equipment.
– Controlling mobility is under the user’s decision.
– Wheelchair ensures the user’s balance.
– There is no more risk of falling.
– Going on the beach, up the hills, on the roads is possible if choosing the suitable wheelchair
– Transporting easily
– Increasing the user’s independence from family members or friends
– Wheelchair is an equipment that is ageless, and all types (manual or powered) are available in different sizes from kids to adults
– The feeling of being able and independent to others help to boost the mood and relieve the stress, and the result can be a person with a good level of mental health, regular sleep, being motivated, optimistic, positive and happy
– Happy people decide to make new connections with others instead of staying home and experiencing depression, and this tool makes new connections come true.
– People with disabilities may be at higher risk for diseases more than others. Moving this equipment is such an exercise for those that help them make their bodies, hearts, and brains stronger. A strong body fight with diseases and lower the risk of heart attack, diabetes or other diseases.
Some made for particular activities like sports, and some made for the beach. No matter you can’t walk, or you can’t run! These manual or electrical tools are here to take you as far as you want to go.
Wheelchair and sports
Thanks to technology, wheel-chairs help you go wherever you want to do and do whatever you want to do. Even people with walking problems wish to be sportsmen or sportswomen, and wheel-chairs or power wheelchair help them make their wishes come true. If you have doubts, please google these names and see how wheel-chairs are helpful in different parasports—Dan Stevens, Natalie du Toit, Kyle Maynard, etc.
Sports for wheelchair users
- Table Tennis
- Powerchair Football
- Wheelchair Racing
- Snow Biking
- Mountain Biking
- Water Skiing
- Tandem Skydiving
- Wheelchair Yoga
See? No matter if you have problems with your legs. The different kinds of wheel-chairs and powered wheelchair are designed to help you walk, run, or even doing your favorite sport.