In the RaceRunning Classification, Athletes with mild to moderate involvement in one or both upper extremities, fair to right trunk balance and moderate involvement in the lower extremities are in this class.
Athletes with moderate involvement in the upper extremities and trunk with mild to severe involvement of the lower extremities are in this class.
• Mild spasticity, ataxia, dystonia, athetosis, or mixed neurologic involvement
• May be able to propel a manual wheelchair but not effectively. Able to walk with or without a device
Ability to isolate lower extremity movements
Those athletes with spasticity would have grade1 or 2 on the lower limbs.
RaceRunning Classification System is independent and has no direct relationship with the CP classes.
• Symmetrical or slight asymmetrical on leg movements with good push off. • Fair / good foot contact with the ground.
• Adequate steering and breaking with the upper extremities and usually without strapping.
• Hip/knee contractures may limit stride length at a fast pace.
• Athletes with athetosis may show a smoother movement pattern as their speed increases.